Saturday, December 1, 2007

Flashback on what is about to come again.


So here are a few pictures of my sweet little Kenzie after her cochlear implant surgery on March 17, 2005. The top was in the hospital a couple hours after her surgery. The second one is with Grandma sharon trying to calm her down after surgery, the third one is a week after surgery, you can't see much behind her ear, but you can see part of the incision above her ear. The final one is just a cute picture my friend Kristal took after a couple months post-surgery once her implant had been activated, for those of you who don't know much about the implant, they make an insicion a couple inches above your ear and go clear down to the bottom of your ear, then they fold back the ear and lay it on the side of your face. They have to shave off part of the skull bone so the receptor can lay flat, then they drill a small hole through the skull to feed the electrode array though so they can insert it into the cochlea, that is the small snail shell looking thing in your ear. Then they sew and glue them shut and then that is it, after 4-6 weeks once the incision site has healed, they go back to the audiologist and they activate the internal device. She has a magnetic microphone that sticks to the outside of her head, it magnatizes to the internal magnet. She picks up sound through that and it travels to the processor which sends the codes to the electodes in her head, then the electrodes tell the brain the codes and the brain is able to make sense of it all, it it is a pretty complicated process, yet all those things happen in less than a second. I am so grateful for technology the Lord has bless us with.

Now the reason I am telling her story, is she is about to go through this entire process again, she has had an internal failure with her device and needs to have it removed and a new one put in place. As scared as I am for her to go through this again, I know that the benefits outweigh the fear I have. So if you could all keep her in your prayers, I would greatly appreciate it. We are hoping to get her re-implanted over Christmas break so we don't have to miss school and work. I will keep you updated, but if I don't post for a while, it is probably because I am taking care of my little munchkin.

9 comments:

Jacob & Crystal said...

Wow, good luck Ali! I'll keep you guys in my prayers.

The McEwen Family said...

Oh Alison I will defiantly have her and your family in my prayers and i just can't believe how much such a little one like her has to go through but i hope everything goes great good luck! I hope we can see you soon! Lots of love!!

Angela said...

It's so hard to see your baby in surgery, but like you said, the benefits are greater. We'll be thinking of you and little Kenzie. Good luck! At least she's old enough to understand what's going on, though that doesn't make it hurt less. :( Love you guys.

. said...

We did surgery with Madison earlier in the year, and though not as invasive, I feel for you! I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers. I know we are far away, but let me know if you need anything!

Happy Hardings said...

You are in our prayers. You are super strong mom! Good luck!

Jeff and Ang said...

I hope everything goes well for you and beautiful little Kenzie, but I know it will be fine (; You'll have alot of people praying for her and the power of prayer is amazing! Wish your family the best of luck!!

Audycamp said...

will keep her in my prayers! I know a little about that surgery stuff..not fun..definitely worth it! Good luck! love ya.

Mauzy Fam said...

Wow! That's crazy that she has to go through all that again! Is it common for that to happen? Jordan's cousins daughter has an implant too and I remember how big of a deal that surgery is! I can't believe how calm and collected you are about it. What a great mama you are! We'll be thinking of you and praying. Thanks for your comment about my family - we are really close and it's so great to have good friends within your own family.

Joy Rae said...

Hi Alison!

This is Joy Rae (merrill) from Yuma (and EA)! I found your site from Tamra's. You have such a cute family, and I am praying for your little girl.

Talk to you later,
Joy
www.kjrae.blogspot.com