Monday, August 18, 2008

First Day of School






The kids were so excited, Skyler came into our room at 6am with his clothes on and backpack on saying he was ready. I had to wake Kenz up, she wouldn't open her eyes, so I put her hearing aide on and told her it was time for school. She still had her eyes closed and gave me the thumbs up sign and said "WOOHOO!" I wish I felt that same enthusiasm. So after getting everyone ready, we took the dog for a short walk and then headed off to their first day school. I sat with them while they ate breakfast in the cafeteria, Kenz had Cheerios and Skyler had Fruit Loops, neither of them ate more than a couple bites, they were too excited and nervous. When we left the cafeteria, Skyler was a little upset because someone stepped on his brand new backpack and got mud all over it and on his water bottle. He held it together though and gave me a hug and lined up with his class. He is such an independent boy, it made me laugh at how cool and calm he was when he lined up with his class. Then I took Kenz to her class, she was excited but I could tell she was a little nervous. The teacher had all the kids come sit on the rug up front and she had the parents stay while she read the book called the "Kissing hand." I cried in the back of the class while she read it. I was so emotional today because the district was supposed to have her FM System in place today, but they hadn't done that. I worked my butt off for the last 2 weeks to ensure she would have it when she started, for those of you wondering what and FM is, it is a microphone the teacher wears and Kenz has a speaker on her desk so the teacher's voice can be amplified. With how noisy the classroom is, it is SUPER hard for Kenz to hear in there. I watched as she listened to the story, I could tell by her face that she couldn't hear the teacher very well, but she stayed seated and watched intently. Anyways, hopefully they district will have it there by tomorrow, I have spent time on the phone this morning about it, and they sounded like they would get it done. So now my two worries are just wondering how the other kids will treat her and hoping and praying that her implant doesn't go flying off on the playground and get stepped on or something.I put toupee tape on it, but with it being 110 degrees and sweating, the tape doesn't work for too long. OK well I will update on how the first day of school was. I am here alone right now, not sure what to do with myself. I was looking forward to a little "me time," but right now I am just sad to not hear my kids playing or fighting with each other. My house feels completely empty without my little side kicks. It is also so hard knowing that I can't shelter them from the world anymore. They are going to be exposed to bad language, and people that might not be so nice.I just have to hope that I have taught them well enough and instilled in them how wonderful they are and how much I love them. Hopefully that love can help them through the adventures that lie ahead. OK well I need to get busy and do something because my heart feels like it is being ripped out of my chest.

8 comments:

Jeff and Ang said...

I'm glad the kids got off and were excited. I'm sure starting a new school is scary and they both seemed so brave. Just reading your words made me want to reach out and give you a big hug! And them too!! It's so hard to send our kids off where we can't watch over them and make sure they are happy. I hope both their days went well and they made lots of new friends!!! They sound like such strong children and I'm sure they get that from their mommy (: I hope you enjoyed your time alone...I can't wait to hear how their day went!!!

Jeff and Ang said...

I'm glad the kids got off and were excited. I'm sure starting a new school is scary and they both seemed so brave. Just reading your words made me want to reach out and give you a big hug! And them too!! It's so hard to send our kids off where we can't watch over them and make sure they are happy. I hope both their days went well and they made lots of new friends!!! They sound like such strong children and I'm sure they get that from their mommy (: I hope you enjoyed your time alone...I can't wait to hear how their day went!!!

The McEwen Family said...

Oh Alison I feel so sad for you and now I never want to let my kids go to school! But they looked so cute all ready for school. I'm sure they will do great and I hope Kenzi does well and they get her equipment there soon! Be strong and enjoy your time alone! I'll send you my kids to watch for the day if you're that bored! LOL

Sabra said...

You turned out okay, and your mom let you loose into that cruel, ugly world!

Harding Family said...

How exciting for all of you. Hope the FM system gets in and works. Way to stay on top of that! Enjoy your me time-get your butt in gear! Biggest loser is right around the corner.:) Have a great week!

Audycamp said...

Alison I'm sure you are so sad with your precious kiddos in school! You are such a good Mom! Take it easy now, take some time for yourself..you deserve it!!! I feel like our lives with our kids are so similar. Our boys being so independent and how much we worry about our girls. They will do great I'm sure-they are such good kids.

Angela said...

Aw, Ali. I know it's hard to let 'em go, especially when they read that dang book! Both of my boys' kinder teachers read it and I couldn't help the few tears that escaped. They'll be okay. Hope everything is going well with the FM system! Oh, and give me a call 'cause I can't find your number!

BJ said...

I don't know how you do it! I am scared to death of the day I have to send D to school, which will be next year. I will still have the other two home, but just sending them out there is so scary. Glad there first day of school was good. Hopefully they get kenzie set up better soon. Good luck and so happy to be in touch with you again!