Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Hooray for the Monsoon!




So as I was driving the kids home from school today, I notice a dark cloud gathering above our neighborhood. I was praying that the rain would hold off till we got inside so I wouldn't have to worry about Kenzie's hearing aid and Implant processor getting wet. SO about a foot from our door the rain just starts slamming down, she is trained well so she covered both devices with her hands as I rushed us all inside. Once we got in we took off the backpacks and her equipment and went out and played in the rain. It rarely rains here, so we have to enjoy what we can get. The kids and I ran up and down our little street, the water was running into the road, the way it is set up to prevent the houses flooding allowed us to have water up to our ankles in some parts of the street, it was awsome, we were soaked from head to toe, but we loved every minute of it. Kenzie wanted me to tell her whenever I heard thunder, I would have to tap her and tell her since she is completely deaf without her equip. on. I was not sure why she wanted me to, but she just wanted to enjoy the storm the same way Skyler and I were. I am sure grateful for technology that allows my little girl to be a part of the hearing world. I am sure one day they will have a device that she can wear all the time, so she can hear in all situations. I used to really take for granted things like being able to hear when you are taking a bath or in the pool or being able to hear the ocean while you are swimming in it, or being able to hear thunder when you are playing in a storm. Sound is a beautiful thing and I don't think I will ever take it for granted again.

7 comments:

Tia said...

Oh thats hilarious im just laughing cause it won't stop raining here. I keep thinking okay you can stop now. but really nothing is better than deseret rain, I remember loving it when it rained in Yuma but can't really seem to remember it that often :)

brenda said...

Looks like fun! I think it is great your daughter is so responsible with her hearing aid!
When Brandi had her Trach, we also had to be very careful of water! I agree with you, we shouldn't take the simple things of life for granted! It's funny how our children teach us everything we really need to know!

Jeff and Ang said...

Yuma rain is the BEST rain because it's so rare!! You totally take it fir granted everywhere else, but in yuma it's like the best day of the year and everyone is outside dancing like nerds (: Your kids look so cute all soaked!!

The McEwen Family said...

I'm glad you guys got to enjoy some rain. I guess I don't think of that now that we live somewhere, where it rains almost at least once a week! And it sucks going out or running errands and you have to worry about it raining or how long.... but the kids look cute all wet from playing in the rain!!

Audycamp said...

I LOVE the rain too! I wished it would rain here more. WE didn't get THAT great of a storm here. Aw...great that you guys had a fun rain dance. Sweet that Kenz wanted you to tap her when it thundered.

Tina said...

I wrote about the rain too. It's a big deal around here.

Kenzie is so cute, wanting to know when it was thundering. You are such a good mommy...:)

BJ said...

i didn't realize you had to be so careful with them, glad she knows what to do so they don't get ruined. you new little nephew is darling!!!