Saturday, October 4, 2008

"Undeaf"


So this is what Jeremy and I woke up to this morning. An excited knock on our bedroom door. I kept saying WHAT, but when no answer came, I realized it must be Kenz since she can't hear anything until I get her equip. on. Anyways, I opened the door and she just starts rambling a mile a minute about how she could hear herself talking. She said, "MOM, MOM, I THINK I AM BECOMING UNDEAF BECAUSE I CAN HEAR MYSELF TALKING!!!!!! TALK TO ME MOM SEE IF I CAN HEAR YOU, SO I COVERED MY MOUTH AND STARTED TALKING,(hoping and praying we were witnessing a miracle). I started yelling things to her, but she just kept saying "alright mom, say something" So I gave her a big hug and put her equip. on and she was a little sad. She again said, "Mom I thought I was becoming undeaf." It broke my heart just a little as I watched her face as I explained that that prob. wouldn't happen, but that her C.I and her H.A are tools that let her hear so it is kind of like she is "undeaf". Then we were watching conference today and one of the speakers was sharing a story about a little girl who was deaf and had a C.I and had learned to talk. Kenzie sat straight up during this talk listening intently and at the end of the talk she had little tears in her eyes and just hugged me. I think the story really made her feel special. We are so blessed to have such a sweet little girl. Yes at times she drives us all a little crazy with her bossiness and her stubbornness, and her not listening (intentionally)but her determination is what has helped her achieve all she has in her young life.

16 comments:

Audycamp said...

Alison I TOTALLY THOUGHT OF YOU AND KENZ during that talk. In fact I pictured her little face as the actual little girl in the story. You know I feel the same about my kaylea..I feel these girls HAVE to have those strong stubborn spirits to be able to get through their lives in THIS DAY in age. I just pray I can direct kay's stubbornness in the right direction so that she can be STRONG and use it for the right reasons in standing up for what is right. ok i just rambled..

Tia said...

sweet that made me cry, thanks for sharing!

Kimmy said...

When I heard that talk I thought of you and Kenzie as well. She really is someone special!

McEnaneyFamily said...

I love that story...you have a special little girl.

The McEwen Family said...

That is so sweet. What a sweet little spirit she has. I pray one day her dream will come true! =)

Mauzy Fam said...

What a sweetie!!

Elizabeth said...

I pictured her as I heard this story too. It made me think of her and I knew your family was listening to that talk. It made me cry then and it made me cry now. She is SOOOO Special. So is your whole family. My e-mail for your mom is Elizabeth_hutson@hotmail.com but I will post it on your Mom's blog again too.

bematheson said...

AWww i love kenzie...

The Nortons said...

Hey thanks for sharing that story. What a brave and sweet girl. I really enjoyed her when I taught nursery.

brenda said...

You have a very special little girl! Thanks for sharing!

BJ said...

that is so sweet...what a challenge as a mother, to comfort her and teach her with her disability. You are perfect for it!

Mrs T said...

I heard and loved that same talk. What a sweet girl Kenzie is.

kristal said...

Ali, I'm crying too. I know how blessed you feel to be able to be Kenz's mom, but she is sooo blessed also to have you as her mom. You're the best. Very sweet post!

Love ya!

Tina said...

The thought of her listening intently to that talk is so sweet. She's a sharp one.....:)

Devey Crew said...

Kenzie is a very special little girl also her parents are very special. The Savior truly will make everything right. What peace and comfort the conference talks give us they truly are modern day scriptures. Do you mind if I use this in my primary leadership meeting.
Priscilla

Carolyn said...

What a touching story! I am so glad I found your blog. I miss you so much. next time you are in town call me. 982-539-7359.