Sunday, December 21, 2008

Five Minutes With Mary...



In church our Relief Society teacher wanted us to think about what we would say if we had five minutes with Mary, the mother of our Savior. So, I was thinking about it; what would I ask her, what would I say to the sweet woman who raised the Son of God. So the more I thought about it, the more I just wished I could thank her for devoting her life to raising the Savior. I can't even begin to imagine the heart ache she felt through out much of her life as she witnessed others mocking, persecuting and ultimately crucifying her son. So I wrote a little poem as I was trying to think of what I would say if I were able to talk with her, to sit with her face to face, to ask her whatever I wanted to ask her. So here are my thought...

Mary
On that dark blessed night with the light of the star,
people came searching from near and from far.

To see the sweet babe in your earthly care,
sleeping sound in the manger, oh the load he'd soon bare.

How did it feel to hold that sweet child,
flesh of our father, so meek and so mild?

Did you know what would would become of your precious son?
The Lord of Heaven and Earth, God's chosen one?

How your heart must have ached with pain and with grief
when he went out in a world stained with sin and unbelief.

Oh Mary, sweet Mary, chosen mother of the Lamb,
you raised the Savior who would raise all Man.

Oh, if I could sit down beside you and tell you face to face
of how much I admire you for your courage and your grace.

I would love to hear the stories that only a Mother could tell
about what it was like to raise the child, Christ the Lord, Emanuel.

I ache with the pain you must have felt, to experience such great loss,
for a mother to witness her loving son hanging on a cross.

You were chosen for his mother because of your virtue, strength, and love
Entrusted with God's child from the Royal Courts above.

From his birth till his death you were his mother so true
Mary, from one mother to another, I give my deepest thanks to you.
By, Alison Devey

16 comments:

Deck The Halls said...

Alison,
That's Beautiful! Thank you for sharing, you touched me!

MERRY CHRISTMAS!

Sabra said...

Very nice, Alison. Thank you for sharing.

Mauzy Fam said...

That was so beautiful. Thanks for sharing. Merry Christmas

AudyCamp said...

alison that was so beautiful! You are so talented-thanks for sharing those sweet words!

Devey Crew said...

Ali, thank you for posting your poem it is inspiring. I hope you submit it to the ensign.

Stephanie said...

Wow! Words fail me...that was awesome! Thanks for sharing!

KentSharon said...

From one mom to another. I love you poem. I am proud to be your mom. I love you, Ali. Mom

Jonelle said...

Alison- you are certainly talented to put your thoughts and feelings together in such a beautiful poem. I'm glad that you posted it.

Tina said...

Alison, I'm crying...
This is a wonderful poem. You are so talented!

The McEwen Family said...

That was so beautiful Alison. You have such a sweet spirit and you're such a good example. I'm so happy to have you as my friend! I hope you had a very merry Christmas. We are moving on the 14th and coming home for 2 days maybe I can see you again for lunch or something! Love ya!

mrs t said...

Wow! Beautiful!

Granni P said...

You really need to send that to somewhere and get it published for everyone to read. I was taken to tears. Thanks for sharing! In case you dont recognize my as Granni P, I am Patty Lemmon
I will be checking your blog regularly. I love your posts.

BJ said...

this is such a nice post. good job! hey, just wanted to let you know we got the internet today again. I couldn't take it anymore!!! it is slower, but i have it so i don't care! can't wait to keep in touch more with you.

Hoover Family said...

Absolutely beautiful Alison!

Elizabeth said...

Wow, What a beautiful poet you are. That was wonderful.

The Harris Family said...

Wow, Ali, that is beautiful! Now that is what I was talking about when I said you are an excellent writer and you'll do great with your grad classes!!! I agree you should send that in to the Ensign.