Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Camping Day One...






Man I wish I could have had a computer or even a journal to record in at night on our camping trip, I feel like I have already forgotten a ton of the fun details of our trip. I want to include it all for Skyler and MaKenzie to read back on one day. So I am going to post a little about what we did each day. On Wednesday morning we woke up, finished loading the car and were about to start our trip when Jeremy did a quick check of the tires; he noticed that our front ones were really bad, so instead of spending our morning driving, we spent it waiting for our tires to get changed. We were finally on the road by noon. It was so great after we were through Phoenix and we would touch the windows and they were slowly getting cooler and cooler. We were pleasantly surprised that the kids didn't try to kill each other or fight at all on the way up, they were packed so tightly in the back seat, they had a cooler in-between them so they really couldn't even see each other. Skyler held our dog Annie the whole way there. We arrived at Rock Crossing Campground around 5pm and it was soooooooo nice, the weather was perfect. While Jeremy and I put the tent and dining fly up, the kids gathered firewood and scoped out potential tree houses and forts. That evening we just ate soup for dinner and then roasted some marshmallows. Jeremy borrowed a really great church book with talks in it from his mom and we had a little lesson that night about making good choices. Then we all snuggled up in our sleeping bags and listened to Jeremy tell a ghost story, he was being very serious about it and then he made up a name for one of his characters and I couldn't help but laugh and then he started laughing and it kind of ruined the whole spooky thing he had going. We were all asleep by 9:30, I was the only one who had to get up during the night to use the bathroom. I am such a baby about leaving the tent in the middle of the night. We forgot to buy batteries, so our flashlight didn't work, it was a bright moon, but was still creepy as I headed towards the bathroom site. I kept thinking about happy thoughts trying to distract myself from the story of the ancient Indian legend that Jeremy told us all earlier. When I spotted the door to the bathroom ahead, I ended up running to it and quickly locking the door behind me. Who, in there right mind, wants to hang out in a camping bathroom. They had lots of air freshener in there so it actually smelled like apples and Cinnamon, but it was pitch black. I was wishing I had taken the dog with me because I was all scared and paranoid. I finally walked back to the campsite and then I laid there awake for a while since the adrenalin was going. I felt like such a little kid, I can't believe I am 31 years old and yet walking to that bathroom in the dark I felt like I was 9. It makes me laugh now, I was just sure though that I would cross paths with a skunk or worse, the scary Indian shape-shifter from Jeremy's story. Well that was pretty much day one of camping in a nutshell, I will post about day two later.

2 comments:

AudyCamp said...

alison-it is so good to see your family happy & well!! It looks like you guys had a great time! :) ...so funny to see the dead bug amongst his live friends...& your bathroom story-i'd be freaking out too!

Carolina said...

You look beautful Ali! So glad to hear you guys are happy and getting some time to have fun and relax!