Saturday, January 21, 2012

My First Triathlon!!!!!!


Before the race began, waiting for my heat to start.

After my final lap, hence the super red face/neck, and sweaty everything!
Another after picture, I was so happy to be done!

I can finally say that I competed in a race, my last one was like 13 years ago in Joseph City when I did a 10K run. Today was not near that distance, but it was an awesome workout and I have a huge boost in my confidence right now. It was the second race in the BIG BLUE RACE SERIES at Utah State University. They are building on one another to prepare us for longer distances and all that. This one was a 300 yard swim, 5 mile ride on the spin bike (my butt is in serious pain), and a 2 mile run. This summer when we moved to Logan and had all these life changing events, I decided it was time for me to do something for myself. For years it wasn't that I didn't want to do it, it was just that I had so much going on in my life that I couldn't even think straight. Now that I am done with college and Jeremy is doing much better than before, I decided to start taking some time for me to exercise. It hasn't been easy, but it has helped me feel so much better and always starts and ends my day off nicely. I end up waking up around 5:00 am every morning, getting the kids up and fed and having them get dressed for school. Then I head off to the gym and Jeremy sees that they get off to school. Since July I have been swimming every morning from 6:30- 7:20, then I shower and get ready for work and just pop over next door to my building on USU campus, it is so convenient. Lately since I have been training for this triathlon, I have been leaving work a little earlier than usual and I will go run two miles and do the bike before I go home (don't worry, I have permission). It has really been great! Jeremy and I have both been on the Ketogenic diet for his seizures since August, he has lost 70 lbs and I have lost 52 lbs. I can't wait to loose about 40 more! Anyways, that was just some background info on prepping for this thing.
My kids were so excited to watch me do this triathlon. Last night they kept saying that I needed to be taken care of, so between the two of them, I had the dishes done and put away after dinner. Each kid gave one foot an awesome foot rub. Skyler gave a killer back rub, and they combed my hair, it was funny, but quite nice. This morning I woke up at 5am and couldn't go back to sleep, I was excited, nervous, and a whole mess of emotions. After we ate breakfast, the kids really wanted to make signs to hold up for me, it was super sweet. When I got to the pool, they wrote the number 150 on each of my arms (with a permanent marker). Kenzie is very upset about that, but I think it's cool. There was room for 60 people to register for this Triathlon. I was placed in the 4th heat, there was 12 of us in it. When they blew the whistle my heart about jumped out of my chest. It was the strangest, adrenaline packed moment to know I was actually doing it, something I never thought I could do. I was so nervous, but I knew it would be OK, my only goal was to finish the triathlon without having to walk at all and to keep my time around an hour.
The swim went well, I wasn't worried about that leg of it, I typically swim a 2000 or more every morning and this was only a 300( hitting the wall 12 times). I actually was the first one finished and out of the pool during my heat. That was a great way to start out, especially since I knew I would be passed by many come time for the run. After climbing out of the pool I did a poor job of drying off and throwing my shoes and clothes on, I took off out of their very quickly about "eating it" on the way, I literally slip out the door, I think the guy coming up behind me may have been a little disappointed I was able to catch my balance, that would have provided a good laugh.
After running down the road and across the street to the other campus gym, I jumped onto the spin bike and peddled like crazy, my butt fell asleep after about 3 minutes and my legs were both slightly numb, so that went pretty quick. One person from my heat finished the 5 miles before me, like 45 seconds before, but that didn't bother me at all, I was just so happy I wasn't dead last.
Once I jumped off the bike I went straight to the track where I had to run 15 laps (UGGGHHH) the run was by far the worst for me, but I just told myself I was not able to walk, I had to run the whole way. Yes I was passed by several people, but who cares, I was doing way better than I thought I could. Every time I would pass the front of the track, my little fan club would hold up their signs, cheer me on, and tell me how many more laps I had left. It was just the motivation I needed to keep moving. My thoughts were just to keep moving forward and not stop and not fall. The worst disappointment was when I thought I was on my last lap and the timers yelled to me Yay, only 2 more. I was so sad, I didn't think I was going to be able to, I had to just stay in the zone and push through. On my last lap when I got to the end, I decided to give it all I had and sprint, after crossing the finish line and stopping, my head was spinning, and I was quite thirsty, so I got a drink, greeted my family and felt the LOVE! The kids were awesome, they kept saying things like, "how did you not have to stop," "I can't believe you did it," "that was amazing!" I think they really just wanted me to say "OK lets go get you guys some lunch." It was fun, I sat down, stretched a little, then went to find out the time. I had no idea, I totally lost all sense of time as I was just willing myself to continue on. The coach said I had done it in 40 minutes and 45 seconds, I was thrilled. I asked him how close I was to last place, he started naming off all these other peoples times, 59, 56, 52, 49, I was ecstatic that I wasn't only not in last place, but far from it! I also crushed my goal of doing it in an hour. So here are some scary no make-up race day pictures, but I want to remember this forever, it meant so much to me to do it and to have my family there supporting me.
Now I need to go get out of this bed cause Jeremy and I are going on a date. I am feeling a little sore, so I don't know how adventurous our date of grocery shopping will be, but at least we will get some time together. Oh and another cool thing about today is that our sister Brigette Devey Matheson had her 3rd child, Dash this morning! What a great day!
Congrats Brigette and Wade on your new addition Dash, what a cutie!

6 comments:

Tara said...

I am so totally impressed! Way to go! I have never done anything like this at all and am so in awe of people who set goals and achieve (and crush) them. I need to get a'movin' in life... thanks for being such a great example!

Miken Harding said...

You look AMAZING!!!! Congrats on your weight loss and even more on the race-they are so addicting and fun! I can't wait till my next one. We should do one together sometime. Let me know if you are ever in the Salt Lake/Midway area...would love to see you and catch up! Miss ya girl-way to go and what sweet kids! Ps. Jeremy looks great too!

Miken Harding said...

You look AMAZING!!!! Congrats on your weight loss and even more on the race-they are so addicting and fun! I can't wait till my next one. We should do one together sometime. Let me know if you are ever in the Salt Lake/Midway area...would love to see you and catch up! Miss ya girl-way to go and what sweet kids! Ps. Jeremy looks great too!

Bj said...

Ali! You are amazing!!! And i am so proud of you! I have always wanted to try and Tri...but you see i have no clue how to swim! Seriously, it boggles my mind...brad has tried teaching me and my brain and body just don't get it!!! Hat's off to you my dear! And also, i was going to tell you about an awesome site i have been using...it is for food and exercize journal and different challenges and groups to join to keep you motivated, it is great and FREE!!! It is www.myfitnesspal.com! If you decide to sign up for it then let me know and i will give you my screen name so you can add me as your friend...only if you want to of course! ;-)

AudyCamp said...

Ali-I am so proud of you!! I'm so glad you are at a point in your life where you can finally spend time on yourself. You are amazing... {That's so funny about Kenzie upset about the marker on you..:) good girl.}

BJ said...

sorry ali, BJ is Miss Jennie, i was logged in under this account and didn't realize you probably have no idea who left it...i will try to remember to use my blog log-in so you recognize it's me! Love ya and again, CONGRATS!